The airspace surrounding the New Jersey and New York areas is some of the most challenging and unique in the world. Aircraft of all sizes and performance capabilities operate in and out of four major airports in this area: John F Kennedy International Airport, Newark Liberty International Airport, LaGaurdia Airport and Teterboro Airport. In addition there are many smaller controlled and uncontrolled airports to the North, West and East of the city, all within close proximity. Centred in this beehive of aircraft operations is the Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) over the Hudson and East River where a large number of uncontrolled (not under direct ATC advisory and separation services) helicopter and fixed wing aircraft with various performance capabilities and missions operate daily.
Thanks to the unique performance and flight characteristics of helicopters they perform a pivotal role in the transport of people and completion of various tasks within this airspace. The Federal Aviation Administration recognises the important role of helicopters in this airspace and has published a Helicopter route chart for the area in addition to the standard sectional and terminal charts.
These factors combined can offer a daunting challenge for new or inexperienced helicopter pilots when operating for the first time in this airspace.
At AMC Helicopters our instructors have a high level of experience operating in this airspace and carry out commercial and instructional flights on a daily basis in the area. Through our New York airspace and helicopter route training course we aim to provide pilots of all levels with the proficiency and confidence necessary to operate safely and effectively in this challenging environment
The flight portion of the course may be carried out in your own helicopter if desired. (Discuss with AMC Helicopters).
Before undertaking the course pilots must hold a minimum of a Rotorcraft category with Helicopter Class Private Pilot Certificate or higher.
Certificate privileges and medical must be current and you must be authorized to act as PIC of a Robinson R44 helicopter with recency of experience in type if using our aircraft.
AMC helicopters can assist with recency of experience and all your renewal requirements if required.
The course is over 2 days and may be conducted individually or with a maximum of 2 pilots.
Day 1 is 8 hours of class training. Day 2 will consist of carrying out a flight route (minimum 2 hours flight time) of your choosing in the New York and New Jersey airspace. Start and final destination must be Lincoln Park Airport with 1 diversion to a New York Heliport. Where we go in between is your choice. (We will guide you as to various route options suitable to optimise your training).
Day 1 Ground Course
- Review of New York sectional and terminal area charts
- Review of New York helicopter route chart. Safety and considerations whilst using most popular routes
- Review of operations within Hudson and East River special flight rules area
- Break for complimentary lunch at “Sunset Pub and Grill”
- Standard and local radio communications whilst operating on helicopter routes, within the SFRA and in the general surrounding airspace
- Approach and departure techniques to New York and New Jersey heliports. Review of heliport operations and markings
- Review of helicopter routes to and from Long Island and East Hamptons. Noise abatement procedures and friendly flight techniques in this area
- Questions and answers session
Day 2 In Flight Operations
- Pre-flight planning for chosen route. (AMC Instructors will provide guidance for pre-flight planning at no additional cost)
- You will carry out flight with guidance from instructor. In-flight diversion to heliport and return to Lincoln Park Airport
- Post flight de-brief with questions and answers
Day 1 – $500
- 8 hours ground school, current New York sectional, terminal and helicopter route charts, course material, and complimentary lunch
Day 2 $950
- 2 hours dual instruction in R44 @ $475/hr
- All flight time beyond 2 hours charged @ $475/hr
- For those who wish to bring their own helicopter instructors are charged @ $60/hr flight time
- Heliport landing fee is additional and will be advised upon route selection
Contact AMC Helicopters to discuss your individual requirements and allow us to assist you with becoming a fully proficient, safe and confident pilot while operating in the New Jersey and New York Airspace.